Are you looking to find one of the best online jobs out there?
Some of the best online jobs are work from home jobs that involve you working for someone else, or you may be able to even start your own business.
And, yes, many people earn a full-time income while working online jobs from home.
So, if you are looking to start making extra money or if you want a new career path that lets you earn money from home, this list of best online jobs is especially for you.
My hope is that what you read in this article will spark your interest and possibly inspire you to learn how to earn money from home.
Online jobs are great for many reasons such as:
- You can work from home
- You may be able to have a more flexible schedule
- You may be able to travel more or even full-time
Being a blogger is pretty non-traditional, but it’s an online job that allows me to travel full-time, create my own schedule, and be my own boss.
I know many people who work online for the same reasons I do, and they love it.
Here are a few different types of people and situations that can really benefit by finding one of the best online jobs on this list –
Parents can work online and have the flexibility to stay at home with their young children. Online jobs are also great for parents of school-aged kids who want to be around during the day if something happens while their child is at school.
People who want to increase their income can benefit by finding online part time jobs that allow them to work outside of their “normal” 9-5 work schedule.
Anyone who wants to start a new career can find part time jobs from home that they can start on the side and one day grow into a full-time business. This allows you to try something new while not immediately giving up your current job and income.
Anyone with wanderlust can work online and travel while they earn money. This is what I do, and I love being able to see so many new places while earning a great living online.
And, I'm always looking to add to this list of best work from home jobs and online options, so if you know of anything else, please leave a comment or send me an email.
All of the best online jobs on this list are legitimate jobs, career paths, or business ideas, so you don't have to worry about work from home job scams. As always, they will require your time and effort – as all careers do.
Related content on the best online jobs:
- 12 Passive Income Ideas That Will Let You Enjoy Life More
- 10 Powerful Lessons That Every Freelancer Needs to Know
- 80 Ways To Make Money On The Side
- 15 Outdoor Jobs For People Who Love Being Outside
Here are 17 of the best online jobs.
1. Create a blog.
My favorite online job is, of course, blogging!
It allows me to travel full-time, work from home, have a flexible schedule, earn somewhat passive income, and more.
Blogging changed my life for the better, and it allows me to earn thousands of dollars a month, all by doing something that I love.
I created Making Sense of Cents in 2011 and since then, I have earned over $4,000,000 with my blog and over $1,500,000 just in 2018.
My blog was created on a whim as a way to track my own personal finance progress. And when I first started my blog, I honestly didn't even know that people could make money blogging or how to start a successful blog!
I did not create Making Sense of Cents to earn money from home, but after only six months, I began to make money.
Blogging is quite affordable to start too!
- How To Quit Your Job And Become A Full-Time Blogger
- How I Successfully Built A $1,000,000+ Blog
- The Ultimate Guide To Blogging Income Sources
- 10 Easy Tips To Increase Your Affiliate Income
You can easily learn how to start a blog with my free How To Start a Blog Course.
Here's a quick outline of what you will learn:
- Day 1: Reasons you should start a blog
- Day 2: How to determine what to blog about
- Day 3: How to create your blog (in this lesson, you will learn how to start a blog on WordPress – my tutorial makes it very easy to start a blog)
- Day 4: How to make money blogging
- Day 5: My tips for making passive income from blogging
- Day 6: How to grow your traffic and followers
- Day 7: Miscellaneous blogging tips that will help you be successful
2. Help local businesses on Facebook.
Did you know that you can make a living from Facebook? With Facebook advertising, you can help businesses expand their reach.
And, yes, this is a skill that you can learn!
I recently had the chance to interview Bobby Hoyt about this subject. Bobby is a former high school teacher who paid off $40,000 of student loan debt in a year and a half. He now runs the personal finance blog Millennial Money Man full-time, as well as a digital marketing agency for local businesses that he started in 2015.
Last year, business owners spent over $88,000,000 per day on Facebook ads. The market is wide open for digital marketers on Facebook, and this is definitely a skill you can learn!
If you are looking for a new business idea or even just a side hustle, learning how to make money running Facebook ads for local businesses may be something that you want to look into.
I recently did an interview with Bobby about running Facebook ads, and in this interview, you will learn:
- How Bobby started making money through running Facebook ads
- Why small businesses want Facebook ads
- How a person can find their first Facebook ads client
- How much you can make doing this type of work – the average is around $1,000 extra a month per client
One last thing before we head to the interview on how to make money running Facebook ads for local businesses. Bobby has a course called Facebook Side Hustle Course that teaches you how to successfully make money running Facebook ads for local businesses.
3. Sell items on Amazon.
Amazon, the world's largest online retailer has many, many people who sell items and earn money from home. Jessica Larrew, of The Selling Family, explains how selling on Amazon may be a possibility for you. She is a friend of mine, and I am blown away by her success!
In the first year that Jessica’s family ran their Amazon FBA business together, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over $100,000 profit!
Jessica also has a FREE 7 day course that will teach you everything you need to know in order to start selling on Amazon. I recommend signing up for it now!
This is one of the best online jobs to work as a side hustle, and if you want more information, click on the interview link below.
In my interview with Jessica, How To Work From Home Selling On Amazon FBA, we talk about:
- How Jessica started selling on Amazon FBA
- What exactly Amazon FBA is
- How to choose what to buy and sell
- How much a person can expect to earn
- The positives of selling on Amazon, and more
4. Teach English online to earn money from home.
Online teaching jobs are growing every single day.
Learning how to teach English online has become extremely popular, making it one of the best online jobs for many good reasons – it’s flexible, there’s a high need, and it pays pretty well.
Surprisingly, you don't need to be a teacher to learn how to teach English online. You also don't need to speak more than one language – you only need to speak English.
Those things make teaching English online a really great side hustle or online job for almost anyone.
The amount of money you can earn teaching English online will vary, but it's typically around $14 to $22 per hour.
Because this side hustle is becoming popular, there are several great companies that allow you to teach English online. My top three picks are ones my readers have recommended and ones I have personally looked into:
Learn more at Make Extra Money By Learning How To Teach English Online.
5. Find online tutoring jobs.
Are you looking for a flexible side hustle as an online tutor?
Course Hero is a website that helps high school and college students with course-specific questions.
Using the website, students connect with Course Hero tutors on a wide range of subjects and classes, which makes this a great side hustle for people with different educational backgrounds and experience.
Tutors earn an average of $3 for each question they answer on Course Hero. Earning between $12-$20 per hour, Course Hero tutors earn an average of $300/week.
Learn more at How To Make $300+ Weekly As An Online Tutor With Course Hero.
6. Become a virtual assistant to earn money online.
Not only does the internet allow us to complete more daily tasks online, more and more people are working from home in fields such as blogging, social media, etc. This means there are more and more virtual assistant jobs, making it one of the best online jobs today.
Virtual assistant tasks may include social media management, formatting and editing content, scheduling appointments or travel, email management, and more. Basically, you can get paid to do any task that needs to be done in someone’s business, but doesn’t need to be done by them.
My friend Kayla is a full-time blogger, virtual assistant (VA), and project manager who earns over $10,000 per month while working from home. She is also the founder of $10K VA, her course where she teaches exactly how you can make a consistent $10,000 per month as a virtual assistant too!
Kayla used to work a full-time job as a credit analyst, earning about $2,000 per month. She was struggling to make ends meet while paying off debt, so she started a side hustle as a virtual assistant.
I interviewed her at How Kayla Earns $10K/Month From Home as a Virtual Assistant, and we talk about:
- How much can a beginner VA expect to make
- How a person can find their first virtual assistant job
- The steps to become a VA
- Her best tips for being a VA
7. Make money on Pinterest.
To continue with the above, I do want to talk about how you can become a Pinterest virtual assistant as well.
This is where you help businesses improve their reach on Pinterest. This could be:
- Designing Pinterest images for their website
- Helping business owners set up their Pinterest account
- Scheduling pins so that they are consistent
- Creating a marketing plan, and more
8. Write your own eBook.
Writing your own eBook is a great way to make money online, and there is probably something super helpful that you could write about (even if you think otherwise!).
In fact, my friend Alyssa self-published her first book and has sold more than 13,000 copies.
She is now earning a great passive income of over $200 a day from her book ($6,500 in one month alone!).
She is also the creator of From Blog To Book, a course that will help you write, launch, and market your first book. I've already signed up for the course, and the expertise she shares is absolutely amazing. Some of the modules in her course include:
- Mapping Out Your Book Content
- Strategies for Writing Your Next 30,000 Words
- Where to Publish Your Book
- Tutorial: Getting Your Book on Amazon
- Design Your Book Cover
- Set Pricing for Your Book
- Create Your Marketing Plan
Learn more at How Alyssa is making $200 a DAY in book sales passively.
9. Write romance novels.
My friend Yuwanda Black has found one of the best online jobs that is also super interesting. She writes romance novels and in one month, she was able to make over $3,000!
I was able to have her write on Making Sense of Cents about her creative way to make extra money. In the article linked below, you can learn:
- How she got started writing romance novels
- How much money she has made
- Her top tips to start writing successful romance novels
- Why your novels do not need to be long (her most successful books are under 10,000 words)
- How to promote your romance novels
- How to sell on Amazon
And much more!
10. Build an online store.
Yes, you can start your own online store, and you don't need to have tons of experience or a lot of money to do so. Many people start with no background – which means that if this is one of the best online jobs that you are interested in, then you should definitely read on.
I’ve also heard of a number of students who have successfully started ecommerce stores because there aren’t any degree requirements for this option. It’s also one of the best online jobs for students because you can work it in just 5-10 hours a week like Jen did, and you don’t have to store the items you’re selling.
I had the chance to interview Jenn Leach of E-commerce and Prosper, who explains exactly how to start an online store.
Jenn is a corporate mom turned e-commerce store owner and blogger.
She started her online business a little over three years ago, and since then, she has developed and grown three successful online e-commerce stores earning an average of $19,000 per month.
She is super successful despite only spending around 5-10 hours per week on her e-commerce business.
E-commerce and Prosper, Jenn Leach’s course, teaches you how to start an online store. She reveals her successful rinse and repeat formula to students in her course. It’s the same formula she uses to earn an average of $19,000 per month. This course will teach you:
- How to start an online store
- Winning e-commerce success tools
- How to turbocharge your e-commerce success
- How to start making money in THREE days
Learn more about this at How Jenn Makes Over $10,000 A Month With Her Online Store In Less Than 10 Hours Per Week.
11. Start a bookkeeping business.
Ben, founder of Bookkeeper Business Academy, explains how becoming a bookkeeper may be a possibility for you.
Ben helps people start and grow their own bookkeeping business with his online bookkeeping course.
And, guess what?
This is one of the best online jobs because you don’t have to be an accountant or have any previous experience!
In this interview, we talk about:
- What a bookkeeper is
- The typical clients a bookkeeper has
- How much new bookkeepers earn
- How to become a bookkeeper
- The positives and negatives of bookkeeping, and more
Learn more at Make Money At Home By Becoming A Bookkeeper.
12. Find items to resell online.
Have you ever found something that you thought you may be able to resell and actually make some money?
Melissa’s family earned $42,875 in 2015 through buy and sell flipping, and they were working only 10-20 hours per week.
Yes, just 10-20 hours a week!
And in 2016, she hit $133,000!
Some of the best flipped items that they've done include:
- An item that they bought for $10 and flipped for $200 just 6 minutes later
- A security tower they bought for $6,200 and flipped for $25,000 just one month later
- A prosthetic leg that they bought for $30 at a flea market and sold for $1,000 on eBay the next day
She also has a great book called 5 Ways to Get FREE Items To Resell for Profit, which teaches you how you can earn money from home by flipping items.
You can learn more at How Melissa Made $40,000 In One Year Flipping Items.
13. Begin a freelance writing career.
Working as a freelance writer is one of the best online jobs these days because there is a growing number of jobs out there for freelance writers.
A freelance writer is someone who writes for a number of different clients, such as websites, blogs, magazines, and more. They don’t work for one specific company, rather they work for themselves and contract out their writing.
My friend Holly from EarnMoreWriting.com (as well as the popular personal finance blog Club Thrifty) is a very successful freelance writer and has earned over $200,000 writing online!
Her freelance writing course includes nine video modules, several printable worksheets, and awesome add-ons, too. Here are some of the things you can expect to learn if you take her freelance writing course:
- Discover the #1 most important thing you can do to get paid writing jobs
- Learn how to find beginner level jobs and move up over time
- Learn how price affects the amount of work you get
- Learn which types of jobs help Holly earn the most pay, and where you can find them
- Find out which online platforms work best for finding paid work, and how to use them
- Learn how to structure your work day to earn six figures or more
Learn more at How I Earn $200,000+ Writing Online Content.
14. Become a transcriptionist.
Transcription work is a growing field.
In 2007, Janet started working from home as a medical transcriptionist. Shortly after that, she started a successful general and legal transcription business.
While running her business, she noticed a need for more skilled transcriptionists, so the idea of creating a course and introducing one of the best online jobs to more people popped up. Janet now teaches others in her online course how to transcribe online.
In this my interview, Make Money At Home By Becoming A Transcriptionist, we talk about:
- What a transcriptionist is
- How you can get started as a transcriptionist
- What kind of money you can expect to make
- The type of training you need, and more
15. Proofread for a living.
Do you find yourself correcting grammar and/or cringing at common writing errors?
Maybe you even enjoy finding errors?!
In 2014, Caitlin made slightly over $43,000 by being a freelance proofreader, while also going on several fun vacations.
If you are looking for a new job, or even just a side hustle, this may be one of the best online jobs to look into. In my interview with Caitlin, Make Money Proofreading By Becoming A Freelance Proofreader, you can find more information on how to earn money from home as a proofreader, court transcript proofreader, or a freelance proofreader.
In this interview, we talk about:
- How to get started as a proofreader
- Who the typical clients are
- What kind of income can be made
- Whether anyone can be a proofreader or not
- What kind of training you need, and more
- Online jobs info
Caitlin also has a great FREE 7 day course just for people who want to stop wasting time and start making more money with their proofreading skills. I definitely recommend that you check it out.
16. Work as a freelancer.
Freelancers are people who work for others by doing part-time jobs. A business may hire you on for one-time gigs or you may get a long-term job with a company as a freelancer.
In addition to some of the freelance jobs I’ve already mentioned (writing, proofreading, transcribing, and bookkeeping) there are even more freelance jobs out there for people who have experience in a variety of fields, including:
- Graphic design
- Web design and development
- Video editing
- Sound design
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
17. Work in customer service.
Many large companies are starting to outsource their customer service departments to people who are working at home.
Customer service representatives may be responsible for a number of things, like:
- Working at an online call center
- Working as a chat agent
- Offering technical support
- Virtual assistant tasks
- Working as a travel agent
This is becoming one of the best online jobs because the number of large companies who need online customer service reps is growing. Companies like Apple, American Express, UHAUL, and more are now offering these types of jobs.
More resources if you’re looking for one of the best online jobs to earn more money from home.
If you are new to Making Sense of Cents, I am all about finding ways to make money from home and save more money as well. Here are some of my favorite sites and products that may help you out:
- Back when I had student loans, one of the things I did was learn how to become a mystery shopper so that I could make extra money. No, it did not make me rich, but it gave me a little bit of extra income, and it also allowed me to go out to eat and get free things that I probably would have bought anyway. Read more at Want To Make An Extra $100 A Month? Learn How To Become A Mystery Shopper.
- Are you thinking about starting your own business? The Small Business Roadmap will show you what steps to take to start your own business.
- If you are starting one of the best online jobs on this list and want to pad your income, answering surveys can bring in a few extra dollars. Survey companies I recommend include Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, American Consumer Opinion, Pinecone Research, Opinion Outpost, Prize Rebel, and Harris Poll Online. They’re free to join and free to use! You get paid to answer surveys and to test products. It’s best to sign up for as many as you can as that way you can receive the most surveys and make the most money.
- Reducing your debt can help make the transition to working for yourself even easier because you can reduce some of your financial stress. If you have student debt, then I highly recommend Credible for student loan refinancing. You can lower the interest rate on your student loans significantly by using Credible which may help you shave thousands off your student loan bill over time.
- Knowing your credit score is a valuable thing for anyone, especially new online business owners. Check your credit score with Credit Sesame for free!
- InboxDollars is an online rewards website I recommend where you can earn cash by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, searching the web, redeeming grocery coupons, and more. Also, by signing up through my link, you will receive $5.00 for free just for signing up! This is just extra money in your pocket while you start your new career. InboxDollars and taking surveys are probably the most easy work from home jobs, but a warning: they don’t pay as well as some of the others on this list.
What do you think are the best online jobs?
The post Want To Make Money From Home? Here Are 17 Of The Best Online Jobs appeared first on Making Sense Of Cents.